Sunday, August 12, 2012

Young girl with a drive to succeed

In 2010 when I was here in Panajachel, one afternoon I was resting on the porch of the little hotel where we were staying.  The hotel was back off of the street and in order to see me sitting there one would need to look hard to find me.  A young girl in native dress started walking up the driveway to talk to me and try to sell me something from her basket that she carried on her head.  I said to myself "I will not buy anything from this girl, nothing no matter what."  Then this lovely young girl bent down to unload her huge basket, she started showing me her wares.  In broken English she asked me where I was from, my name, if I had children, and how long I was going to stay in Panajachel.  I was impressed with her ability to make conversation, and her fearless desire to earn a living.  She had successfully engaged me in conversation, thus breaking down my ability to say no.

One thing she showed me was a lovely hand woven blouse that she herself had made.  I was so taken with it, that of course I bought it.  As she turned to leave, I had to know her name, age and where she lived.  I had my journal on the table so I picked it up and opened to a blank page and handed her a pen so she could write in my book.  In beautiful print, she gave me her name, Tomas, her age, 12 her village, and where she went to school.  I then took several photos of her.  She had such a charming way about her that over the last 2 years, I have often thought about her, and prayed for her and her family.  Not really knowing much other than at 12 years old, she was out working the streets selling handmade items to tourists trying to help her family survive in an economy that was tough at best.  

Fast forward to 2012.  I had a feeling when we arrived in Panajachel, that eventually I would run into Tomas again.  Remember, I had her photo  on my computer and my photos display randomly all the time.  So over the last 2 years, her photo would pop up while I was working in the kitchen or at my desk.  Her face and her smile were seered into my mind.  All Guatemalans do not look alike.

This past week we ran into Tomas.  I saw her immediately and went over to her.  She did not remember me until I gave her the exact location and reminded her of our conversation and that she had written in my book.  She then remembered.  I most always remember a special person who makes an impact on me.  Tomas is one of those. 

Today while eating lunch in one of the roadside cafes, I ran into her again.  This time I told her where we are living and invited her to come visit this next week.  I took a photo of her today, showing that wonderful smile.  She is now 15. 

Here are the photos I took in 2010.

This is the photo of the handmade blouse I bought from her.  I bought it for two reasons, one it is amazingly beautiful, and two, she is the same age as our grand daughter Peyton Mabry, whom I gave the bouse to.  Two very beautiful young girls, but living in very different worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment