Sunday, August 5, 2012

Arrival in Panajachel, Guatemala












Dear Friends and Family,                                                           8/2/12
We have arrived at our permanent home in Panajachel, Guatemala on Lago Atitlan.  We stayed for 10 nights in Antigua with Paul and Ruth Philippi in one of their small casitas (house) while we took Spanish classes and visited with our friend Jane Lombardi who lives in a larger home on their property.  Paul and Ruth, along with Bruce Swanson a friend from Arizona drove us here on Monday.  We came the “back” way, which is an old old road that has very little traffic except for farmers moving their cattle to another grazing area.  So when you come around a hairpin turn, you run straight into some cattle on the road. This road is full of hairpin turns and steep mountain rises and descents.  When we finally arrived in Pana, I was a little car sick, thus the delay in writing to all of you.  It has taken me a few days to adjust to another new place to sleep.  Rest assured that when any of you visit us, we will take the modern Pan American Highway, and drive 60 MPH. 
The  Las Buenas Nuevas Compound, or LBN as it is known as here, is situated directly on the banks of Lake Atitlan.  If I am facing the lake, looking at the volcano, I have 2 hotels on either side of me.  Both are beautiful and well equipped with 5 star amenities (5 star by Guatemalan standards), 3 or 4 by Dallas standards!   In the Lonely Planet Guidebook, on the map of Panajachel, Las Buenas Nuevas even has a street named after it.  So we are easy to find.  The Hotel Posada de Don Rodrigo is one of the famous hotels next to us.  The grounds are breathtaking, the view is spectacular, and the food is excellent.  They use the native décor so the hotel is a top choice for those picky visitors who like high end accommodations.  Porta Hotel del Lago, is on the other side of us.  It backs up directly to our little house.  They also have lovely accommodations, but it is more modern in design.  Think back to the old James Bond movies where they show a modern style hotel.  This could be one of those.   It is about a 6 story building.  If we get tired of my cooking it is easy to find a very good place to eat.  You can find anything from a club sandwich to Dover Sole on the menu and they have wonderful desserts.  Plan on spending anywhere from $10 to $35 for a great meal for 2, including tip.
Now for our compound, LBN is on about an acre.  It is surrounded by a very high brick wall, that is covered with blooming  vines and bugenvillia.  When we arrived, the gardener’s were trimming back the vines.   The climate is like spring all year round, so everything grows lusciously year round.  The temperature ranges from a low of 55 to a high of 85, but neither last very long depending on if the sun is high in the sky or if it is night time.  The natives mostly dress for the cooler climate, Steven and I on the other hand find the cool times to be refreshing so far.  We have a fireplace for when and if we get cold.
LBN is a missionary group  retreat center.  Any Christian missionary group is welcome to stay here.   It is run through CAM, Camino Global as it is now known.   We have 2 large houses, one with 5 bedrooms, and one with 4 bedrooms, plus we have several smaller houses, and some new apartments that are not yet completed.   Our job here is to welcome guests, and make them feel at home, plus help them find places and things here in Panajachel.  We also will be making sure that the staff here keeps all the houses in tip top shape for groups that will be coming in.  I will be doing some decorating updates in the houses, because they are like getting in a time machine and going back 40 years or so.  Painting, changing out the drapes, adding a few newer pieces of   furniture, that sort of thing will keep me busy for a while.  Steven is enjoying pruning the lush landscape and helping out the garden staff.
So far, we have been going to bed early and rising with the roosters.  At this time, we only have our computer for entertainment, plus a few games.  We plan on getting a TV and a satellite dish but that is another project on our list of things we need.  Comfort comes first, then entertainment.   I write as I sit on the hardest padded chair I have ever sat on in my life.  It is like the chairs I sat on in high school, then it did not bother me, but now, I can only take a few minutes of it at a time.  My VPN is working well on the internet, so I can get HULU and fool the control that I am still in the states. 
We have several grocery stores here in town that so far seem to have the basics.  When I go into Guatemala City, I will stop at yes, WALMART and be able to get anything else we need.  Our diet here is very different from that fat filled menu we would consume at home.  Fresh fruits and vegetables fill my fridge here.  We both hope to drop some serious pounds in the next several months.  A big change of diet and all the walking we are doing should kick start our plan to shed those pounds.  It is funny to me, but the air here makes me not feel NOT hungry.  It is cool and crisp and gives me energy.
When I want to go up to the local store, I can walk about a mile, or I can stand at the front of the compound and wait for a tuk tuk to come by.  Yesterday, I waited 2 minutes, and one came down the narrow street.  I hopped in and told him where to take me.  Cost? 10 Q’s, which is about $1.25.  After I finished shopping, I just stood in front of the grocery and another tuk tuk came along.  Tuk Tuk’s are the standard mode of transportation here.  They are like a little motorcycle with a seating area instead of having to swing you leg up and over.  It can carry 3 adult passengers without any problem, plus the tuk tuk driver. The drivers are  usually young men, and so far, everyone has been very helpful.  They make their living by helping the tourist, so we have not had any problems.
Our little casita is very comfortable.  We have 2 bedrooms, and one bath with a large walk in shower.  The kitchen is large compared to the small one we had in Antigua.  I have a modern refrigerator, and automatic gas stove.  I say automatic because that is a luxury here, and I had great difficulty learning how to light the oven in our house in Antigua.  Our living area is a very nice size.  We have a fireplace and plenty of space for everyone who visits to sit and be comfortable.  We will have to work on replacing some of the furniture in our house.  The sofa is way past its normal  stage of use.  It is so ugly, that I took the bedspread off the second bedroom bed and covered it up!  Now we can sit on it, but you have to have someone pull you up when you get ready to stand up, because you are down in the hole when you sit.  My friend Julianna O’Conner who lives in Guatemala City is going to help me find some better used furniture pieces.  We will be happier and more comfortable when that is done.  We do have a nice desk area for our computer and ample space to store our office/desk stuff.  My computer connection is good, our magic jacks are working great and it sounds just like we are still in Dallas when we talk to everyone.  Our phone numbers are still the same.  Susan-469-879-7532 and Steven-214-505-2612.  Please call us, we love to hear them ring.
Yesterday, we experienced both the loss of electricity and water.  Early in the morning we heard a loud boom, something caused the transformer to pop and it went out.  That only lasted a couple of hours, and the same with the water.  No big deal, we just had to wait to do our laundry and wash the dishes.  But who cares?  Down here, we are not on a tight time schedule.
Steven has now finished with the two flower beds in front of our house, and he is ready for a shower.  No Water.  So he will sit and wait for it to come back on again.  I made us sandwiches for lunch with a fresh cantelope I purchased in the market yesterday.  Now the water is on, and we will go to the bank and  then try to find a paint strore this afternoon.  I want to refinish an old wall cabinet that is small enough to hang in our bathroom to use for a medicine chest.  No sense wasting it, but it does need some help in the beautification department.
All for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment